How Would You Teach The Graveyard Book?

The Graveyard Book was such a fun read that I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did. As a future educator, I think a lot about how I would teach different things, including books. If I were to teach The Graveyard Book, I think it would be really fun to teach in the month of October, right around Halloween. Spooky stories add to the spookiness of the season and this book would be a great addition to a Halloween unit. There could be so many fun activities to go along with this in an upper elementary classroom! One that I think would be really fun would be a short writing assignment where students write about what happens to bod after he goes out into the world. Another idea that could be fun could be an art project to go along with the book where students re-create their favorite scene from the book using different art media. It would be great to see the creative sides of my students with these projects. An idea that was given in the directions for this post was epitaph poems for characters in the book who didn't have them or for yourself! A few examples that I came up with are below. It was a really fun activity to think back on the book and come up with epitaph poems for the characters whose headstones had been left a mystery to us as readers. I think students would really like this and it could be a good transition into a poetry unit. 

Bod- Finally, I have returned home to never leave again.

Silas- Here lies a very caring vampire, I thought I’d never die.

Jack- I tried to deal with him, he dealt with me instead.


How would you teach this book?


Comments

Popular Posts