Aristotle and Dante Take the Big Screen

 I feel like it is only a matter of time before this book becomes a movie, right? I can already see it in my head in movie form and I hope it does one day become a movie, but for now, I will play director. If Aristotle and Dante’s story were to become a movie, I would like to see it filmed in classic 1980’s fashion with camera styles, costumes, and sets similar to some of the movies from that time that took place in a high school, including The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, and Sixteen Candles. These movies have such an eighties feel to them and I think that feeling would add great character to the already fantastic story of Aristotle and Dante. 


Casting would be so important in this movie. The actors need to be able to capture the mannerisms of the characters in the books. Ari’s character needs to be stubborn and reserved but also needs to give off the vibes of a “loner” as Ari describes himself at the beginning of the book. Dante’s character needs to be more soft and outgoing and open-minded. Dante is the one who approaches Ari in the beginning and shares his feelings for Ari first at the end of the book. I also think that the parents of Ari and Dante are really important roles to be cast as they play such an important role in the lives of the boys in the book. To start, Mr. and Mrs. Mendoza in the book give off such warm feelings. They feel like a big hug and they care so much about Dante. Ari’s father is an important role because his character grows so much throughout the story. In the beginning, he is quiet and doesn’t talk much, He doesn’t have the best relationship with Ari. By the end of the book, the once distant relationship is so much closer together and Ari communicated much more with his father. Ari’s mother, like the Mendoza’s, feels like a warm hug, so I would cast her similarly. 


If I am being fully transparent, I am not super familiar with the work of many Latinx actors or actresses and I would hate to do an injustice to the community by misinterpreting performers I am not familiar with. With that said, I am leaving the casting call open and am looking forward to hearing the input of others. 


Comments

Popular Posts